↓ in 45 minutes ↓
You will need:
- 12 manicotti shells cooked shy of al dente (6 minutes)
I suggest keeping them on aluminum foil until ready to use so they do not stick together and tear.
- 4 links sweet Italian sausage, scrambled, browned, and drained
- 10 oz. frozen spinach, cooked and drained well
- 3 oz. Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fresh)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp medium ground black pepper
(all herb measurements are for dried, crushed)
Preheat oven to 450°
In medium saucepan, heat oil on low. Add all spices and garlic. Cook for 4 minutes stirring regularly. DO NOT ALLOW HERBS TO BROWN. Add tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in medium bowl, whisk egg whites lightly.
Add spinach, sausage, ricotta, parmesan, bread crumbs and egg whites. Mix together well.
Stuff each manicotti and set back on foil.
Pour half of tomato mixture into glass baking pan. Lay manicotti on top. Add remaining tomato mixture.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.